After three weeks of public voting, the Basilica of Saint Mary has been named victorious in a bid for $100,000 to help preserve and maintain its historic building.
MPR Photo/Tom Weber
Partners in Preservation, a joint project of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and American Express, is giving out a total of $15.5 million over ten years, focusing on a different community each year.
This year the focus is on preserving buildings in the Twin Cities. Twenty-five historic sites were named as finalists for the $100,000 grant, and the voting public got to pick the winner.
Officials with the Basilica say the funds will be used to make repairs to the Narthex and the Sacristy of the Basilica, including the repair of these rooms’ decorative ceilings, limestone walls and damaged plaster while also restoring the historic paint and gold leaf found throughout the structure.
A total of $900,000 in additional grants will be awarded on November 9th to a number of the other Twin Cities participating sites, after review by American Express, the National Trust for Historic Preservation and the advisory committee comprised of Twin Cities area civic and preservation leaders, co-chaired by Mayor R.T. Rybak of Minneapolis and Mayor Chris Coleman of St. Paul.
The other participating sites are listed below:
• American Swedish Institute, Minneapolis
• Banfill-Locke Center for the Arts, Fridley
• Chaska Athletic Park, Chaska
• Christ Lutheran Church on Capitol Hill, Saint Paul
• C.S.P.S. Sokol Hall, Saint Paul
• Emerge Career and Technology Center (Old North Branch Library), Minneapolis
• Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration, Belle Plaine
• Fitzgerald Theater, Saint Paul
• Fort Snelling Upper Post, Building 67, Unincorporated Hennepin County
• Harriet Tubman Center East (Former Saint Paul’s Monastery), Minneapolis
• Hennepin Center for the Arts, Minneapolis
• Historic Pilot Knob, Mendota Heights
• James J. Hill House, Saint Paul
• Landmark Center, Saint Paul
• Mill Ruins Park, Minneapolis
• Minnehaha Park, Minneapolis
• Minnesota State Fair Grandstand, Saint Paul
• Minnesota Transportation Museum (Jackson Street Roundhouse), Saint Paul
• Pilgrim Baptist Church, Saint Paul
• Pioneers and Soldiers Cemetery, Minneapolis
• The Soap Factory, Minneapolis
• Washington County Historic Courthouse, Stillwater
• Waterford Iron Bridge, Waterford Township
• Wayzata Depot, Wayzata