OverUnder collaborated with Broken Crow to make this mural in northeast Minneapolis. Confused? See number 4.
Want to make sure that this Memorial Day Weekend doesn’t just fade away? Well then, do something memorable. Here are a few ideas:
1. Get to know your neighbors: This weekend numerous home-owners in the South Minneapolis neighborhood are opening up their garages, backyards and maybe even their livingrooms for a little urban exploration. The event, titled “Constellation: A backyard art expedition” features everything from an art swap to knitting a tree cozy.
2. REALLY get to know your neighbors: Walker Art Center presents “Exposed: Voyeurism, Surveillance and the Camera since 1870” which features art made of people without their knowing.
3. Lament those you have lost: It is Memorial Day, after all. Open Eye Figure Theatre presents “Refreshments,” three miniature performances staged in different parts of their theater space. These lamentations tell of epic battles between Dark and Light and are inspired by the puppetry and dance of Java and Bali.
4. Support deviant art: NYC street artist Erik Burke also goes by the name Over Under, and his street art flips our notions of security and shelter. His show “Building on Building” opens Saturday at the XYandZ Gallery in Minneapolis.
5. Run away with the circus: The extremely flexible folks at Cirque de Soleil are taking over the north lot of the Mall of America to present Ovo, a production that focuses on the drama and adventure of a bug’s life.
So what are you doing this weekend?