They’re digging out the foundations of the Metrodome these days, and getting ready to pour the major foundations for the new Vikings stadium starting as soon as next week.
Here’s a progress report from this morning’s Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority meeting:
- The Metrodome is about 80 percent demolished.
- The footing for the giant supertruss that holds up the roof will be poured starting as soon as next week. The truss will stand on blocks of concrete 20 feet tall.
- There are about 150 people working on site now. They are doing about 25,000 hours of work a month.
- The workforce is about 35 percent minority and 10 percent women, by hours worked. The goals set in state law are 32 percent and 6 percent.
- About 5 percent of the workers are veterans, although there is no firm target for veteran employment.
- The Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority is getting ready to select an outside operator to run the building. Initial applications were due yesterday.