Notes in the Margins: Campus religion, enrollment declines and English in academe

Why Forbes Removed 4 Schools From Its America’s Best Colleges Rankings Claremont McKenna isn’t the only top college that lied. Bucknell University doctored SAT results from 2006 to 2012; Emory University provided numbers for admitted students rather than enrolled ones for more than a decade; and Iona College lied about acceptance and graduation rates, SAT scores and alumni giving for nine years starting in 2002. All have since fessed up and claim to have instituted better practices. (Forbes)

In a Recovering Economy, a Decline in College Enrollment The college-age population is dropping after more than a decade of sharp growth, and many adults who avoided the job market and went back to school during the recession have been drawn back to work. (The New York Times)

Obama Promises ‘Aggressive Strategy’ For Higher Education Renee Montagne talks to The Wall Street Journal’s David Wessel about a shift in the Obama administration’s approach to higher education, which the president alluded to in his economic speech on Wednesday. (NPR via NAICU)

Is Religion Making a Rebound On College Campuses? Not everyone throws away religion while throwing a cap and tassel. Though 64% of students do lessen their religious activity, the remaining 36% don’t just maintain their faith. Some connect to it even more. (policymic via University Business)

The rise of English in academe – A cautionary tale The rise of English as the global academic language is picking up legal steam in Europe. Developments in France and Italy have unleashed passionate arguments supporting or contesting the move towards English instruction. Percolating beneath this discourse is an inherent tension reflected in separate European Commission calls, over the past month, for internationalising higher education and maintaining instructional quality. (University World News)