Norris Hall on the University of Minnesota’s Twin Cities campus is the latest building to be torn under the U’s master plan.
It’s part of the school’s effort to reduce the number of older buildings on campus, which often have high maintenance and energy costs.
Some of the buildings are considered historic, and their demolition doesn’t sit well with preservationists. But U of M officials point out they’ve spent hundreds of millions of dollars in recent years re-purposing historic buildings throughout the U’s system.
Originally built in 1914, Norris Hall and Gymnasium (also called the Ladies Gymnasium for a period of time) was expanded with the construction of an attached field house in the 1930’s.
The building has sat empty since 2010. The U studied reusing the building, but officials say the cost of renovation was too high.
They also say Norris was penned in by other buildings, leaving it with little parking and no place to expand.
The site will be turned into green space, giving pedestrians and bicyclists another route to East River Parkway.