Don’t find your latest creation on this abbreviated list of the worst-of-the-worst, published recently by The Huffington Post. Go here for the original slideshow and all the details.
The worst part about them? They’re predictable.
- The Cringe-Inducing Metaphor Essay. (It’s not insightful. Just lame.)
- The Reformed Convict Essay. (What on earth makes you think an Oprah-worthy confession of bad-boy behavior in high school will absolve you of a low G.P.A.?)
- The Mother Teresa Essay. (You’ve helped other people. Nice. Next?)
- The “Wizard of Oz” Essay. (You say you finally realize that everything you need is in your own backyard? They read: Safety school. Not inspiring.)
- The” Jersey Shore” Essay. (Writing that the person you most admire is some schmuck celebrity isn’t clever — just misguided.)
- The Dead Dog Essay. (Essays about your coping with the death of a loved one aren’t inspiring. Just sad.)
- The Free Verse Essay. (Now is not the time to disregard instructions and just write what you want. It just shows you can’t follow instructions.)