The Blaine overdose case has been a popular discussion item on online message boards frequented by people who present themselves as drug users.
Nineteen-year-old Trevor Robinson-Davis died Thursday after inhaling 2C-E, and a fellow partygoer who allegedly supplied the drug has been charged with third-degree murder in his death.
I did some web searching while pursuing a story about the legality of 2C-E and whether there have been other criminal cases involving 2C-E. In the process, I found several online message boards where people were discussing the case.
Below are a few examples of things people are saying, with links to the message boards. Please note: I didn’t have time to vet statements on the message boards for accuracy and haven’t tried to interview a drug user about their experiences. But maybe one will contact me through this post.
“I need to stock up before it gets hard to find.” I saw several posts predicting that because of the death, authorities would ban 2C-E. The Drug Enforcement Administration already says it’s illegal under the Federal Analog Act. But it isn’t on the list of controlled Schedule I or Schedule II substances, meaning it’s not as easy for prosecutors to pursue cases. Sen. Amy Klobuchar has already promised to introduce legislation banning 2C-E. Shroomery.org discussion.
“I have no sympathy for any of these kids.” There were a lot of angry posts on the message boards, where users can remain anonymous. People were mainly concerned that this group used 2C-E without being careful and that lawmakers would pounce on the opportunity to ban it. Zoklet.net discussion.
“There’s no way you should die from it unless, you are in fact doing it like coke.” According to authorities, some who overdosed in Blaine DID inhale it, including Robinson-Davis. Others ingested it. The user who posted the comment also said he/she spent two weeks researching 2C-E before ordering it. Other posts expressed surprise by the death reportedly caused by 2C-E and speculated about the possibility that the group mixed 2C-E with another drug, resulting in extreme effects. Shroomery.org discussion.
“I’m wondering … if there is a tainted or mislabeled batch going around.” Some users wondered if this was the issue and expressed fear about the incident. Authorities said the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension tested the drug to be 2C-E. Bluelight.ru discussion.
Got any thoughts on this reaction?