Sacred Heart, MN., takes the top honors in the “who had the most snow” competition. The Renville County town had 17.3.”
There’s a fair chance that this is the first time you’ve heard of Sacred Heart (unless you travel US 212 frequently) , so we provide this glimpse into the new snow capital of Minnesota.
* The city is one square mile big, according to the Census Bureau.
* The median house price there is about $47,000, compared to $200,000 in Minnesota as a whole. The median rent is $481 a month.
* Population: 500.
* Unemployment is 4.5% but 11 percent of the people live below the poverty level.
* At one point, thanks primarily to the railroad (Hastings & Dakota Railway), Sacred Heart had two elevators, two hardware stores, three general stores, two hotels, a blacksmith shop and a saloon, according to the city’s website. These included: Paulson’s General Store, Nordstrom’s Drug, and Oslund’s Cash Store.
* It has its own telephone company: The Sacred Heart Telephone Company
* The most photographed building in town appears to be the Hotel Sacred Heart.
* It has four churches, all Lutheran.
* There’s no mail delivery. You have to go to the Post Office.
* It used to be called Reishus. Olaf S. Reishus was the postmaster.
* Here are some historical photos from the city.