The National Transportation Safety Board today concluded its investigation into last summer’s crash of an airplane into a Sauk Rapids home that killed two people aboard the airplane.

The NTSB said the pilot likely lost control after its canopy opened in flight, but it says it cannot determine whether wake turbulence from a jet landing at St. Cloud airport had anything to do with the crash.

According to the investigator…

About 5 minutes after the experimental amateur-built RV-6 airplane departed from a local airport, an air traffic controller notified the pilot that an Airbus was 30 miles southwest of the airport and inbound. About 7 minutes later, the pilot reported that he had the Airbus in sight and then stated that he was going to take a picture of it. No further communications were received from the pilot. A witness reported observing the RV-6 “rocking back and forth” before the “nose went down” and then seeing two objects come off the airplane when it entered a descent. Another witness reported hearing engine noise before observing the airplane enter a steep nose-down descent. The airplane impacted a house and was destroyed by a postimpact fire.

The two objects that the witness observed coming off the RV-6, which were a headset and PVC material, were later located near the accident site and did not exhibit thermal damage or soot. The exit of the two objects from the airplane’s interior indicates that the canopy likely opened in flight, which led to the loss of pitch control. Fire damage precluded examination of the airplane’s canopy and systems; therefore, the reason for the canopy opening in flight could not be determined.

In the wreckage was the pilot’s logbook, which has indicated an incident had occurred nearly a year earlier in which the canopy had come unlatched.

Killed in the crash were pilot Scott Olson, 60, and Alexander Voigt, 16, who was staying with St. Cloud Mayor Dave Kleis. He was set to return to Germany the following week.

Cooler heads have prevailed near Los Angeles where a high school girl’s basketball team was disqualified from the playoffs because they wore uniforms to call attention to breast cancer.

A day after the Narbonne High School team was ousted for not getting a “waiver” for the uniforms, officials had a change of heart, according to the Torrance Daily Breeze.

L.A. City Section Commissioner John Aguirre said the uniform rule was implemented in the 1980s, when there was a “concern for certain colors and gang affiliation and things like that,” and he noted that the rule would be addressed in the future.

“The decision (Tuesday) was based on placing kids first, and determining the spirit and intent of the rule,” Aguirre said. “The intent isn’t to deny kids playoff and championship opportunities. This was a purely positive effort on the part of Narbonne’s basketball program to support a worthy cause.”

The coach of the team, however, will not be barred from the postseason and the team will not be allowed to host any postseason games next year. The coach says she’s just fine with that.