It’s (almost) official: Twins to host MLB All-Star Game

Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig is expected in Minneapolis Wednesday to announce that the Minnesota Twins will indeed host the All-Star Game in 2014.

A league spokesman in New York declined to confirm or deny Selig’s travel schedule, but he confirmed that the game’s location will be named Wednesday.

Three Twin Cities sources with knowledge of the deal confirmed Selig’s visit, capping weeks of speculation that the two-year-old Target Field would likely win its high-profile bid. Minneapolis hasn’t hosted the game since 1985.

As one source noted, this is probably the worst-kept secret in Minnesota. Sports scribe Charley Walters of the Pioneer Press reported yesterday that Selig would announce the details this week.

Selig himself nearly let the cat out of the bag last month when the commissioner was in town for the Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities (RBI) World Series. Speaking on the prospects of a Target Field All-Star Game, he told Walters:

“I can’t say anything right now, but let me say this: They’ve made a very good bid, and everybody knows how I feel about the Twin Cities,” Selig said. “That’s the only hint I’ll give.”

Expect Mr. Selig to be touching down sometime before the news conference, scheduled for 4 p.m. Wednesday at Target Field.

Comments are closed.