Good morning, and happy Friday. The best Fridays always come before a three day holiday weekend, don’t they? Here’s the Digest.

1. Today marks the one-year anniversary of the state’s medical cannabis program. Minnesota lawmakers approved the sale of medical cannabis in pill, oil or liquid form in 2014.  Now two manufacturers are distributing the drug across the state. For some qualified patients the drug has helped tremendously, but for others challenges remain. (MPR News)

2. The Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe is denouncing a decision from Mille Lacs County officials last week to end a cooperative law enforcement agreement with the Band. The county says it revoked the agreement due to a dispute over state law. But at the heart of the disagreement is a long-running dispute over the Band’s reservation boundaries. (MPR News)

3. A new effort in Minneapolis and St. Paul schools aims to keep a closer eye on students during ninth grade. In ninth grade, students may be more focused on fitting into their new high schools than graduating on time. But experts say success in ninth grade can be critical to whether or not a student finishes high school on time. (MPR News)

4. Newt Gingrich and Chris Christie appear to be at the top of the list for Donald Trump’s running mate. Both are being vetted, but Trump could still decide to go another way. The Republican National Convention is coming up in just over two weeks. (Washington Post)

5. A brief meeting between former President Bill Clinton and Attorney General Loretta Lynch is drawing criticism from both Republicans and Democrats. Lynch said the meeting at an Arizona airport was purely social and the talk was about grandchildren. But with the FBI investigating Hillary Clinton’s private email server, many say the two should have avoided each other entirely. (NPR)

 

Good morning and welcome to Thursday, the last day of June. The year seems to be going fast. Here’s the Digest.

1. Remember a few years ago when the measures to ban same-sex marriage and require an ID to vote were on the ballot, and the campaigns were well organized and funded on both sides of the issues? Well, there’s a constitutional amendment on the ballot this year too, but so far it’s drawn very little attention. It would set up an independent citizen panel to decide whether state lawmakers should get pay increases. (MPR News)

2. Nearly 600 Minneapolis Police officers start using body cameras next week, and the city has issued a body camera policy. Officers would be required to turn on the cameras during all traffic and suspicious-person stops, car chases and searches, and whenever they use force. (Star Tribune)

3. Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine, who is at or near the top of Hillary Clinton’s list of potential running mates, accepted more than $150,00 in gifts and other perks when he was lieutenant governor and governor of Virginia, according to disclosure forms. The gifts were legal under Virginia law, but could become a problem if Clinton picks Kaine. (Politico)

4. The Republican National Convention is set to start in 19 days. There are still a few questions surrounding it, including who will show up, who will speak, who will pay for it and whether the delegates will stick with their presumptive nominee. Other than that it’s shaping up really well. (Washington Post)

5. Political numbers analyst Nate Silver projects that as the race for president currently stands, Hillary Clinton has an 80 percent chance of winning while Donald Trump has a 20 percent chance. He based that analysis on polls and other data and says it could change. (538)

Good morning, and welcome to Wednesday. Tuesday was another busy news day, so let’s go right to the Digest.

1. Gov. Mark Dayton appointed Anne McKeig to fill a vacancy on the Minnesota Supreme Court. McKeig is the first American Indian to serve on the court and her pick means women will make up the majority of justices. “Today is a historic day, not only for myself and for my family, but for all native people,” McKeig said Tuesday. (MPR News)

2. A federal jury deliberated for less than two hours before returning a guilty verdict in the case of Jordan Davis, a Minneapolis Police officer accused of using taxpayer money from Community Action of Minneapolis for personal expenses. Earlier this month, his father Bill Davis, the former CEO of Community Action of Minneapolis and a longtime DFL insider, pleaded guilty to multiple counts of fraud and theft. (MPR News)

3. Another terrorist attack has killed more than 40 people, this time in Turkey. Hundreds more were injured when three gunmen began shooting at the Ataturk International Airport in Istanbul and then blew themselves up. No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Turkish prime minister said he suspects the so-called Islamic State was behind it. (NPR)

4. After a $7 million, two year investigation, the report released Tuesday by the House Benghazi Committee found fault with the response to the attack on the U.S. compound, but no new evidence of specific wrongdoing by Hillary Clinton. The report is most critical of the Defense Department, not the State Department, for its lack of response to the attack. (Washington Post)

5. Donald Trump gave a speech in Pennsylvania blasting trade policy supported by mainstream Republicans for decades and blaming trade deals for the loss of American jobs. Trump also ripped Hillary Clinton for supporting trade deals including NAFTA, and questioned her opposition to the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership. Among the critics of the speech were both the Chamber of Commerce and the AFL-CIO. (Politico)

6. This has nothing to do with politics, but have you seen this video of the motorcyclist hitting the foam pad? A good reminder to make sure your stuff is tied down tightly before heading out. (Pioneer Press)